My mission

To jog-bicycle around the world, climb the mountains, swim the seas and soar the skies. Since they are not remotely possible, I settled for a daily dose of spiritual triathlon -- jogging, cycling and meditation -- necessarily in that order. My idea of a spiritual triathlon is 10 miles of jogging and 10 miles of cycling followed by an hour of meditation. I sincerely feel that not less than a spiritual marathon can tame the mind and mould it the way you want it to. So go ahead and have fun taking a dekko at my spiritual athleticism. But don't forget to drop in a word or two on how you feel about my blog and my way of life. Your advice is always valuable to go that extra length to the Garden of Eden

Food for cycling thought

A Zen Teacher saw five of his students return from the market, riding their bicycles. When they had dismounted, the teacher asked the students, "Why are you riding your bicycles?" The first student replied, "The bicycle is carrying this sack of potatoes. I am glad that I do not have to carry them on my back!" The teacher praised the student, saying, "You are a smart boy. When you grow old, you will not walk hunched over, as I do." The second student replied, "I love to watch the trees and fields pass by as I roll down the path." The teacher commended the student, "Your eyes are open and you see the world." The third student replied, "When I ride my bicycle, I am content to chant, nam myoho renge kyo." The teacher gave praise to the third student, "Your mind will roll with the ease of a newly trued wheel." The fourth student answered, "Riding my bicycle, I live in harmony with all beings." The teacher was pleased and said, "You are riding on the golden path of non-harming." The fifth student replied, "I ride my bicycle to ride my bicycle." The teacher went and sat at the feet of the fifth student, and said, "I am your disciple."

Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Take a cue from life, not from lifestyle

A man goes to the doctor and says, "Doc, I would like to live very long. What should I do?"
"I think that is a wise decision," the doctor replies. "Let's see, do you smoke?"
"Oh, Half a pack a day."
"Starting now, no more smoking."
The man agrees.The doctor then asks, "Do you drink?"
"Oh, well, doc, not much, just a bit of wine with my meals, and a beer or two every once in a while."
"Starting now, you drink only water. No exceptions."
The man is a bit upset, but agrees grudgingly.
The doctor asks, "How do you eat?"
"Oh, well, you know, doc, normal stuff."
"Starting now, you are going on a very strict diet. You are going to eat only raw vegetables, with no dressing, and non-fat cottage cheese."
The man is now really worried.
"Doc, is all this really necessary?"
"Do you want to live long?"
"Yes."
"Well then, it's absolutely necessary. And don't even think of breaking the diet."
The man is quite restless, but the doctor continues, "Do you have sex?"
"Yeah, once a week or so..., but only with my wife," he adds hurriedly.
"As soon as you get out of here, you are going to buy twin beds. No more sex for you. None."
The man is appalled. "Doc...Are you sure I'm going to live longer this way?"
"I have no idea, but I assure you life is going to seem like an eternity!"

So what, if they can't solve their own problems, everyone has a solution for other people's problems. And the best one at that. Because they can take comfort in the fact that others have bigger problems than them. Also, it gives them a good feeling that someone is looking up to them. Which means, they conclude, they must be something. Otherwise, why would anyone seek their advice? And that is how they start feeling good about themselves. And take comfort that they are not alone in their sufferings. And that it is a way of life.

The ego loves to delight in being proud of itself. And the bigger the ego, the bigger the pride it takes. And what is the hallmark of a puffed-up ego? It is in the bigness of things. It is not contented with small things. It wants everything in jumbo size. That is why we have huge multiplexes and hypermarts now. It's not that they have sprung up to cater to someone's needs. It is a reflection of their ego. Because no one wants to feel small shopping in a small place, though most of your needs are met there. We want to feel important that we have all the money in the world to splurge, that we can afford all the "important" things in life, and that we are next to none. This race to be extraordinary is the bane of the modern generation.

But,the most extraordinary thing in the world is to be ordinary. It is the biggest miracle in the world. And the toughest thing to do. Because when you live an ordinary life, you don't feel important. And that is not acceptable to the ego. It has grand dreams, glorious designs, and larger-than-life goals. That is what all the masters of the eastern and western spiritual tradition has been advocating. But we miss the woods for the trees. And take what suits us in our grand enterpriise called the LIFE.

Cycling, jogging, walking, and running are the simplest forms of physical exercise. And, ironically you don't need anything to pursue them. Only the simple desire to get up and go. But no, we love to brag about our physical exercise too, so we end up toning our muscles in a gym, and ruining our health in the process. The day we stop living for people around us, and live the way we want to, we would not only respect ourselves, but the life around us too.

Went on a long bike ride to shake myself of all the stress at the workplace. And myst tell you, speed biking gives me such a high that I can feel the dance of nature all around me. And it is a wonderful feeling to be a part of God's glorious design. Try it out, you'll love it.

No comments: