My mission

To jog-bicycle around the world, climb the mountains, swim the seas and soar the skies. Since they are not remotely possible, I settled for a daily dose of spiritual triathlon -- jogging, cycling and meditation -- necessarily in that order. My idea of a spiritual triathlon is 10 miles of jogging and 10 miles of cycling followed by an hour of meditation. I sincerely feel that not less than a spiritual marathon can tame the mind and mould it the way you want it to. So go ahead and have fun taking a dekko at my spiritual athleticism. But don't forget to drop in a word or two on how you feel about my blog and my way of life. Your advice is always valuable to go that extra length to the Garden of Eden

Food for cycling thought

A Zen Teacher saw five of his students return from the market, riding their bicycles. When they had dismounted, the teacher asked the students, "Why are you riding your bicycles?" The first student replied, "The bicycle is carrying this sack of potatoes. I am glad that I do not have to carry them on my back!" The teacher praised the student, saying, "You are a smart boy. When you grow old, you will not walk hunched over, as I do." The second student replied, "I love to watch the trees and fields pass by as I roll down the path." The teacher commended the student, "Your eyes are open and you see the world." The third student replied, "When I ride my bicycle, I am content to chant, nam myoho renge kyo." The teacher gave praise to the third student, "Your mind will roll with the ease of a newly trued wheel." The fourth student answered, "Riding my bicycle, I live in harmony with all beings." The teacher was pleased and said, "You are riding on the golden path of non-harming." The fifth student replied, "I ride my bicycle to ride my bicycle." The teacher went and sat at the feet of the fifth student, and said, "I am your disciple."

Sunday, May 20, 2007

Cycling into the heights of ecstasy

Mandelwitz is due to be released from the mental asylum. He goes for an interview with Professor Potts, the chief psychiatrist, who tells him that he has to answer a simple question, sanely, before he can be released.
"What would be your first action," asks Potts, "when you get released from this asylum?"
"I would start a rock collection," says Mandelwitz, "and throw one through every window of this building!"
Mandelwitz is taken back to his room and another six months pass before he is interviewed again.
"What will you do first when you are released from here?" asks the head shrink.
"Well," replies Mandelwitz, "I will buy myself a new suit."
"Good," says Potts, "and then what will you do?"
"I will call up a gorgeous blonde girlfriend," says Mandelwitz.
"And then?" asks Potts.
"I will take her to a motel," replies Mandelwitz.
"That's fine," says Potts, "and then?"
"Then," replies Mandelwitz, "I will lock the door, sit her on the bed, run my hand up her stockings, rip off her garter, make a catapult, and break every window in this building!"

Every one of us is like the mad man. It is just a degree of difference. If any of you think you are any different from the mad man, put your hand on your heart and be true to yourself. Do you do what you want to do and what you like to do? And in the best possible way. And the answer would be a definite 'no'. Our worry, our restlessness, our insomnia, our nervousness are a result of a mismatch between what we want to do and what we are doing. This friction in our goals, in our aspirations, in our lives is the reason why there is so much unhappiness around the world. But don't worry, it just takes a couple of minutes every day to understand how you can get out of it. And when you know the trick, you let out a loud laugh.

One of the reasons why westerners go ga ga over meditation when they visit the eastern countries like India or Japan is that Zen masters and eastern gurus have taken them on a tour of their inner life and made them stay there for a while. It's like a miracle of sorts, for the peace, the joy, the bliss that they have witnessed cannot be compared to anything in the world. The only thing that comes near to it is the orgasmic ecstasy that one derives after sex. And that is why Osho has equated meditation with orgasmic ecstasy. And the more one goes into meditation, the more one reaches the heights of ecstasy. I have done it. I have achieved it with cycling, with running, with dancing, with walking, and with silent sitting.

It is such a wonderful feeling to be in an orgasmic high. Which explains why masters become celibates and don't get turned on by women once they taste the nectar of meditation.

It's been a long time, more than 10 days, since I've gone into cycling ecstasy. And I've done it today. And that is why the inner joy comes forth dancing in the form of this post. Biking, especially speed biking, stops the mind, throws the carbon dioxide out of the body, infuses it with a flush of oxygen and tires the body so much that when we settle down after an hour of biking, the whole body becomes an instrument of tranquility. We don't need to do meditation, it happens automatically. You keep wondering, after sitting for an hour, where all your restlessness has disappeared.

Went on a long 20 mile ride today after work and loved every cadence of it. Of course, I haven't stopped the dynamic meditation in the mornings which gives me a new high to take on the day. And when I complete it with a round of cycling in the evening my day is made. And I can't ask for more.

No comments: