My mission

To jog-bicycle around the world, climb the mountains, swim the seas and soar the skies. Since they are not remotely possible, I settled for a daily dose of spiritual triathlon -- jogging, cycling and meditation -- necessarily in that order. My idea of a spiritual triathlon is 10 miles of jogging and 10 miles of cycling followed by an hour of meditation. I sincerely feel that not less than a spiritual marathon can tame the mind and mould it the way you want it to. So go ahead and have fun taking a dekko at my spiritual athleticism. But don't forget to drop in a word or two on how you feel about my blog and my way of life. Your advice is always valuable to go that extra length to the Garden of Eden

Food for cycling thought

A Zen Teacher saw five of his students return from the market, riding their bicycles. When they had dismounted, the teacher asked the students, "Why are you riding your bicycles?" The first student replied, "The bicycle is carrying this sack of potatoes. I am glad that I do not have to carry them on my back!" The teacher praised the student, saying, "You are a smart boy. When you grow old, you will not walk hunched over, as I do." The second student replied, "I love to watch the trees and fields pass by as I roll down the path." The teacher commended the student, "Your eyes are open and you see the world." The third student replied, "When I ride my bicycle, I am content to chant, nam myoho renge kyo." The teacher gave praise to the third student, "Your mind will roll with the ease of a newly trued wheel." The fourth student answered, "Riding my bicycle, I live in harmony with all beings." The teacher was pleased and said, "You are riding on the golden path of non-harming." The fifth student replied, "I ride my bicycle to ride my bicycle." The teacher went and sat at the feet of the fifth student, and said, "I am your disciple."

Friday, May 25, 2007

You are virtually a god, when you are cycling

Paddy has a late night at the pub, and when it closes, he staggers outside in a drunken stupor. He wanders around the streets trying to remember which way to go home, and finally gives up. Paddy sits down on the street and looks all around him until a taxi pulls up beside him.
"Ah!" groans Paddy, clambering into the back and lying down on the seat. "Can you take me to number five, Fergus Street?"
The cab driver looks around at Paddy, and replies, "Hey, mister, this is number five, Fergus Street!"
"Ah!" groans Paddy. "Alright! But next time, don't drive so fast!"

In life, everybody is moving around in circles. They are always busy as if is is rush hour. And I am not talking about office hours. Busy doing what? Making a living, say many of them. I can understand if the pauper or beggar across the road says it, but the so-called rich people too are busy and don't have time for anything. Not the family, not the kids and not even the friends and wellwishers. They have ample money to last 10 lifetimes. But they can't stop from adding a couple of thousands of dollars more to their kitty. We laugh at people who are addicted to booze or cigarettes or for that matter to depression. But, we don't realise that running after money and fame is one of the worst addictions in the world. The more the merrier seems to be the watchword. But, the moot point is do they get the kind of joy like when you look at the sunrise or the sunset or when you see a toddler prancing around? Definitely not. We pay little heed to the simple joys of life, because they do not offer challenges. And anything that does not offer challenges is not worth bragging about.

Only when we realise that the ultimate joy in life comes from within, can we shun away the blues or the boredom or the depression -- the concomitants of a life running after money. And the earlier we do it, the better. Because life is too short and by the time you get a hang of it, you might not have any time left in the world to really say you have led a meaningful life.

The only thing that gives me joy in this world is the couple of hours I spend jogging around the park or cycling around the city early in the morning. My mind becomes so blank and my body so still that I can feel my energy throbbing all around me and inside me. I carry this meditative energy into my work, into my relationships, and into everything I do. And it gives me immense bliss at the end of the day, that I look forward to the next day's workout with the zeal of a child. Of course, during the day too I move around on my bicycle to keep my spirits soaring.

Could not blog for almost a week now as I was busy with planning my cycling routes and my jogging activity. Also, a diehard meditator, I go hunting for books or scour the net for some valuable tips to deepen my silent spaces.

But, I must tell you, it has been a wonderful week with lot of cycling and jogging and playful running. When you are inundated with sweat all over, and when you are so tired that you cannot move a limb, and the oxygen in the brain gives you an aha! feeling, what more do you need in this world? I am virtually a god and there is godliness in everything I do.

2 comments:

Richard Webb said...

I'm pleased for you, but that picture of you covered in sweat and probably needing a shower, doesn't fill me with delight.

What is happening is that your vigorous exercise is getting your serotonin levels high, which is one way of feeling like a god. Thing is you are already a god, claim your inheritance.

Eldos said...

Dear Biking Buddha,

I'm rereading your articles now. I'm touched and moved by the depth of your articles. First when I read them, I thought they are too long and verbose, this time I just have all admiration for you.

I am a newbie with road biking. I tested your stilling your mind philosophy just before one of my meetings. I noticed that after just 30 minutes of riding and joing the meeting immediately afterwards, my mind is sharp and my thought process clear and I delivered my words loud and clear with lots of confidence, very unlike my usual jittery self.

Thanks for pointing it out, never been to a meeting right after a good ride.

One last thing, its a big favor. I'm trying to launch a blog site in September 2007. I would be honored if you let me put your articles on my websites[CyclingKochi.com, CyclingIndia.com, CyclingKerala.com]. If you think that its not a good idea, you don't have to respond, I wont put unless I get your explicit permission.

Thanks again for those beautiful articles. Its a pleasure reading them, pleasure knowing that there are people like you out there.

Eldos.