My mission

To jog-bicycle around the world, climb the mountains, swim the seas and soar the skies. Since they are not remotely possible, I settled for a daily dose of spiritual triathlon -- jogging, cycling and meditation -- necessarily in that order. My idea of a spiritual triathlon is 10 miles of jogging and 10 miles of cycling followed by an hour of meditation. I sincerely feel that not less than a spiritual marathon can tame the mind and mould it the way you want it to. So go ahead and have fun taking a dekko at my spiritual athleticism. But don't forget to drop in a word or two on how you feel about my blog and my way of life. Your advice is always valuable to go that extra length to the Garden of Eden

Food for cycling thought

A Zen Teacher saw five of his students return from the market, riding their bicycles. When they had dismounted, the teacher asked the students, "Why are you riding your bicycles?" The first student replied, "The bicycle is carrying this sack of potatoes. I am glad that I do not have to carry them on my back!" The teacher praised the student, saying, "You are a smart boy. When you grow old, you will not walk hunched over, as I do." The second student replied, "I love to watch the trees and fields pass by as I roll down the path." The teacher commended the student, "Your eyes are open and you see the world." The third student replied, "When I ride my bicycle, I am content to chant, nam myoho renge kyo." The teacher gave praise to the third student, "Your mind will roll with the ease of a newly trued wheel." The fourth student answered, "Riding my bicycle, I live in harmony with all beings." The teacher was pleased and said, "You are riding on the golden path of non-harming." The fifth student replied, "I ride my bicycle to ride my bicycle." The teacher went and sat at the feet of the fifth student, and said, "I am your disciple."

Thursday, April 19, 2007

I'm running as fast as I can

Hamish McTavish walks into an appliance store and asks the price of a remote-controlled TV.
“One dollar,” replies the clerk.
“You've got to be kidding,” says Hamish.
“Listen,” says the clerk, “do you want it or not
Of course, Hamish gives him the dollar.
On his way out of the store, he sees a bigrefrigerator. “How much for that?” asks Hamish.
“Fifty cents,” replies the clerk.
Hamish pulls out fifty cents and gives it to theclerk. “What the hell is going on here?” he asks.
“Nothing is going on here,” replies the clerk. “But my boss is at my house with my wife and what he is doing to her, I am doing to his business.”

Too busy as I was caught up in my employment rigmarole. Had to attend my final interview, plus run around my other office to produce my pay slip and other paraphernalia so that they would give me my offer letter. Only later can I decide whether the pay is okay for me or not. Strange are the ways of organisations. They know how to stretch the red tape longer than than the twin towers of Malaysia. You may trip over or may wound yourself but it doesn't concern them. They have to follow their rules. The more globalisation changes the way business is done, the more companies entangle them in red tape. Can't complain. That's the way of the world. Only when companies realise that red tape is in the mind not in the people can there be a real transformation in how things are done.

However, there is a silver lining too. I managed to fix my running and cycling schedule and integrate it into my meditation. And it goes like this: I would get up in the morning at 4 am, meditate for an hour and get ready to go for my 10 mile jog, followed by 5 mile cycling. I would cool my heels with another round of 45-minute meditation. I've put it into practice in the last two days. And I would gradually like to extend my pedalling miles. And I must tell you, after all the running and cycling, I get so exhausted that I don't need to do meditation, it happens automatically. And it is bliss.

No comments: