My mission

To jog-bicycle around the world, climb the mountains, swim the seas and soar the skies. Since they are not remotely possible, I settled for a daily dose of spiritual triathlon -- jogging, cycling and meditation -- necessarily in that order. My idea of a spiritual triathlon is 10 miles of jogging and 10 miles of cycling followed by an hour of meditation. I sincerely feel that not less than a spiritual marathon can tame the mind and mould it the way you want it to. So go ahead and have fun taking a dekko at my spiritual athleticism. But don't forget to drop in a word or two on how you feel about my blog and my way of life. Your advice is always valuable to go that extra length to the Garden of Eden

Food for cycling thought

A Zen Teacher saw five of his students return from the market, riding their bicycles. When they had dismounted, the teacher asked the students, "Why are you riding your bicycles?" The first student replied, "The bicycle is carrying this sack of potatoes. I am glad that I do not have to carry them on my back!" The teacher praised the student, saying, "You are a smart boy. When you grow old, you will not walk hunched over, as I do." The second student replied, "I love to watch the trees and fields pass by as I roll down the path." The teacher commended the student, "Your eyes are open and you see the world." The third student replied, "When I ride my bicycle, I am content to chant, nam myoho renge kyo." The teacher gave praise to the third student, "Your mind will roll with the ease of a newly trued wheel." The fourth student answered, "Riding my bicycle, I live in harmony with all beings." The teacher was pleased and said, "You are riding on the golden path of non-harming." The fifth student replied, "I ride my bicycle to ride my bicycle." The teacher went and sat at the feet of the fifth student, and said, "I am your disciple."

Friday, April 20, 2007

Zen and the art of dynamic meditation

In a little shack in the outback of Australia, Bruce, Edna and their daughter Shirley have finished their kangaroo stew dinner and are arguing about who is going to do the washing up. There's a big fight, and finally Bruce suggests that they all lie down on the floor and the first person to move does the dishes.
The same night, Hamish MacTavish is driving his oldpick-up nearby, when the radiator overheats. He sees the shack and walks over there to get some water. Going into the shack, he finds everyone lying on the floor, so he decides to help himself to water. On his way to the kitchen, he steps over Shirley, and in a moment of passion, jumps on her and screws her.
He gets up from Shirley and finds Edna on the kitchen floor. The temptation is too great for Hamish and he jumps on Edna too.
Then he takes some water back to his truck, but while he is filling the radiator, he burns his arm. Hamish rushes into the shack and cries out, “Have you got any vaseline?”
Hearing this, Bruce jumps up and yells, “Okay, okay! I will do the dishes!”

We are what we think or rather don't think. And our mind is so filled with nonsense that we react only when we are confronted by the perverse reality -- it may be an accident, a death, or the loss of health. But the wise ones perceive the situation in its totality and take the lead to make a difference not only to their lives but also to others'. Total health does not mean absence of illness but the presence of a boundless energy. And no one has realised it better than the neighbourhood runner who plods on without end for the simple joy of life, or the cyclist who has made cycling his way of life. Let us wake up to the reality before it is too late. Though it is never too late.

It was an anti-climax today after having woken up earlier than the normal days to go for that long run, my cycle had a flat tyre. So I had to make do with an hour's dynamic meditation -- of breathing my lungs out, chattering my nonsense away, and hoo-ing my guts out. It was good fun as I was able to throw out all my nonsense and follow it up with a steadfast sitting meditation stretching for 45 minutes. It may not come any way near the spiritual triathlon that I pursue everyday, but still it was a wonderful experience. Want to know how to do dynamic meditation, log on to www.osho.com. Have fun.

No comments: